Thursday, September 06, 2007

R's Noodles for Comfort

I have a biggish collection of cook books. Not for trying out recipes mind you. But to drool over the exotic recipes while I eat my every day fare!! (Ok, weird I know...). A new addition to this collection is one on Noodles. Udon, Soba and what not. I have gone through it cover to cover several times...but somehow, have never tried out any, although I keep meaning to. Instead, I bugged R several times to send me her own personal recipe - this I am going to try out. Perhaps tomorrow. It is really tasty. Try it. And simple. No fancy ingredients.

Poor R has been suffering from a very bad back and despite that (or perhaps I harrassed her a bit too much), she typed out the recipe and sent it to me. So here it is:

You will need:

Noodles: 200 or 250 gms (she hasn't specified what type of noodle - so can I dare to say "ordinary" noodles?)

Green chillies: 3-4

Assorted vegetables (carrots, beans, mushrooms, cauliflower) : 2 cups

Green Capsiscum: 1 medium sized

Garlic chopped: 6-7 cloves

Soy sauce: A dash

White vinegar - 1/2 cup

Maggie Chicken cubes: 2-3

Oil for sauting the vegetables

Salt, Pepper, Sugar

This is How:

  • Boil the noodles and plunge in cold water. Drain, smear some white oil and keep aside.
  • Chop the green chillies and put them in a pan with the vinegar. Add a little bit of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from fire and keep aside.
  • Julienne the beans, slice the carrots and mushrooms.
  • Parboil the beans and carrots (and cauliflower if using)
  • Slice the capsicum finely.
  • Saute the mushrooms in white oil with pepper and salt.
  • Heat some oil in a pan and throw in the chopped garlic.
  • Add somefresh chopped chillies, then add parboiled veggies,
  • Add the sauteed mushrooms and the capsicum
  • Then add two tsp sugar and finally a little soy sauce, vinegar and chicken cubes.
  • Finally, add the noodles. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning.

Viola! There you have it. The chillies in vinegar is optional. Really. But it does add such a lovely tang to the noodles. The recipe reads so simple and easy...but believe me, its Comfort food.

Note:

  • You can add your own combination of veggies. Shredded, sauteed meat / prawns too can be added. A would insist on adding eggs too....
  • Chicken stock cubes are usually salty. So is vinegar and soy sauce. Be careful about the quantities.

No comments: