(This extremely basic recipe is for all those of you who keep coming to Timid Cook via the search for "How to cook dal" and there seems to be many such searches! Hope this helps)!
Last friday, we returned from a short trip to Goa, sun tanned and over stuffed (with goan goodies), extremely happy but to a bare refrigerator. We were too tired to go shopping immediately so I had to make do with what I could find. Rice-musoor dal-begun (brinjal) bhaja! Ah! Comfort food.
There are varities of musoor dal recipes...the difference being the ingredients used for tempering or "chowNk". This recipe uses a small onion, garlic and cumin seeds.
You will need:
Musoor dal: 1 cup
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
Bay leaf: 1
Red Chilli: 1
Salt to taste
Onion: 1 small
Garlic: 3-4 cloves
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Oil: 1-2 tbsp
- Wash the dal well with several changes of water. Drain.
- In a pressure cooker, put the dal, turmeric, the bay leaf and the red chillie and salt to taste.
- Add 1 & 3/4 cup water (a little less than double the quantity of dal) and cook for two whistles (might take more in winter). Leave aside for the steam to escape and the lid to open.
- Slice the onions into fine rings. Mince the garlic.
- In a kadai, heat oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When the start to splutter, add the onion and garlic and stir well. Cook till the onions turn pink.
- Add the cooked dal to the kadai.
- Add water to make the dal thinnish. Sometimes, while cooking the dal in the pressure cooker, all the water evaporates.
- Adjust salt and cook the dal in the kadai on high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from fire and serve with rice (along with other veggies ... I prefer this dal - rice combos with fries or "bhajas" - brinjal or parwal or aloo and sometimes, fish!