What a lyrical name for this simple and yet tasty dish. It lay buried in my recipe book -- perhaps overlooked because this was not one of R's, written in her beautiful handwriting but in my horrible scrawl. This was given to me by Hema who studied french with me in Alliance Francaise Kolkata. She took cookery classes on weekends and very kindly gave me a few.
You will need:
Coriander leaves: 1 cup
Garlic 8 cloves
Green Chillie: 6 (I used half a chilli only)
Onion: 1 medium
Grind the above to a paste
Tomatoes: 2 cups finely chopped
Peas: 2 cups boiled (I used frozen peas and had only to thaw them)
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Water: 1 cup
Oil: 6 tbsp
Garam masala powder: 1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ground coriander paste.
- Stir fly lightly till oil separates.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry till they become soft.
- Add peas, turmeric, salt, a pinch of sugar and water.
- Mix well, simmer till gravy is thick.
- Sprinke the garam masala and remove.
- Serve with rice or rotis.