Last week I had a joyous reunion with a school pal, "bees saal baad"! Two and a half days of almost non-stop yakking, some shopping, endless cups of tea. She made this really easy and very tasty dish for us and since she hails from hyderabad, it (this dish) is sort of Hyderabadi!!
You will need:
Chicken: 1 kg cut into pieces
Onions: 2 medium, finely sliced
Oil: 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the marinade:
Garlic: 6-7 pods
Ginger: 1" pc
Green chilli: 1
Coriander leaf: one handful
Salt: A pinch
- Wash the chicken pieces and drain.
- Grind coarsely the ingredients (except yogurt) for the marinade in a mortar / pestle.
- Combine the ground ingredients, yogurt with the chicken and keep for an hour.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan to smoking.
- Lightly saute the onions.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and fry on high flame.
- Gently turn the pieces over to ensure proper frying on both sides.
- When the water released by the yogurt dries up, add a little water and rest of the yogurt marinade.
- Adjust salt.
- Lower flame and cook till the chicken is done.
There will be no gravy in this dish and can be eaten with rotis or naans...but worked just as well as an accompaniment to beer on a warm evening!