I am awfully allergic to eggs. It runs in the family (of all the things I could have inherited...). And it is agony for me at lunch time when nearly everyone bring egg in one form or the other. Sigh! I can only gaze in envy and dismay. And here I have to mention that dimer dalna - bengali egg curry is one of the things I can make well.
Today was no exception - two boiled eggs, one omlette, one egg roll, one egg chowmein and on top of it all, J - the VSO volunteer joined us for lunch and this is what she brought:-
- You will need:
Oil 2-3 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Wash and pat the eggplant dry. Prick it with a fork.
- Roast it whole over a naked flame (like for baigan ka bharta).
- Let it cool, remove the peels - which should have turned flaky by now. Keep the tail on.
- Flatten it by pressing gently.
- Beat the egg. Add a little salt.
- Heat oil in a flat pan.
- Dip the flattened, roasted eggplant in the beaten egg and fry for about a minute.
- Remove and eat with steamed rice.
J said that it tastes really well with soy sauce sprinkled on it just before eating but she found the local soy sauces sweet - I assured her that salty soy sauce is available and I have no doubts that she will soon locate one. Afterall, three days after she joined (first time in Calcutta, ever), she attended our NGO's 20th anniversary in saree having found a boutique which stitched her choli overnight and 4 months later she had found herself a music teacher and has already learnt three rabindra sangeet and which she sings very tunefully, albeit with a sweet accent! She also cooks well.