- Sift the flour, baking powder, ground spice and a pinch of salt ina bowl.
- Add the chopped cashew.
- In another bowl mix the sugar,honey, butter and water and coffee well.
- Then add the flour spice to it along with egg, milk.
- Mix to form a smooth batter.
- Grease a mould and pour the batter in to it and bake for 40-60 minutes till a knife inserted comes out clean. (I baked the cake for 40 minutes at 210 deg C).
Note: Lightly dust powdered sugar on top of cake or Spread coffee cream on top of the cake
For coffee cream: Mix 250 g butter, 2& 1/3 cup icing sugar, 3tsp heaped instant coffee, 6 tsp hot water well, to form a creamy paste and spread on cake top with a spatula or cut the cake horizontally into two and use it to sandwich it.
(I didn't do either....just served the plain cake as is, fresh from the oven).
How simple the above recipe reads doesnt it? And it is too. But if I described my process...it would take pages and probably be a primer on how not to do it but despite or perhaps inspite of it all, the cake was quite OK. It was rapidly eaten up and pronounced quite good for a first effort. And what's more, if I can do it...so can anyone...So try it out.
Thanks to A for mental support.
Thanks to R for the recipe, long distance encouragement including answering three phone calls on silly issues like I have added the milk before the water or how does one grind the nutmeg etc?
Thanks to J who didnt say anything at the enormous amount of dishes to be cleaned although she did say that while this cake is nice, the one didi (R) sent was BETTER!